Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Returning Faces: Stephen Penner

Stephen Penner is both old and new to the Spruce Kings. Penner grew up in Prince George, and then played his first two BCHL seasons with his home town team. On December 1st 2014 though, that changed as he was traded to the Trail Smoke Eaters along with Cooper Leitch in exchange for Viktor Dombrovskiy. Entering the summer, Penner expected to close out his junior career with Trail, but the Spruce Kings decided they wanted their 6'5" home grown boy back. The trade was made, and Penner couldn't be happier at the idea of ending with his hometown Spruce Kings.

You've played most of your hockey career in Prince George, so what was the transition like playing for Trail last year? 

The transition to Trail took me some time to get used to but the team, my billets, and community were very welcoming and made the transition a lot easier.

What is it like playing in the BCHL for your home town team? 

Playing for my home town team is such an indescribable feeling. I grew up going to kings games and always looked up to the players. Now I'm on the other end and I feel honoured to have that privilege because not a lot of junior players have that opportunity to play for an organization like this in their home town.

How did you react when you heard you were coming back to the Spruce Kings? 

I was shocked and excited when I found out I was coming home to PG. I was not expecting to be traded back. Playing for Trail was an amazing experience and I had a lot of fun but I'm excited to get the season started in PG again.

What is your favourite hockey memory of all time? 

My favourite hockey memory is winning midget tier 1 provincials in 2012.

What is your favourite thing about the city of Prince George? 

My favourite part of PG is the variety of things to do. There's great hiking, camping, fishing, and lakes to relax at. It's a great place in the summer and winter.

Best place to eat in Prince George?

My favourite place to eat in PG is D'Lanos for breakfast.

With a big and experienced defence corps coming to play this year, how much of a strength do you expect that to be for the team? 

I'm excited to be a part of such a strong defensive group. I feel other teams will be intimidated and scared to play against us.

What do you best bring as a player? 

I bring a lot of physicality as a player. I love to hit and block shots and will stick up for my teammates. I'll do whatever it takes to win.

What are your goals for this season? 

My goals for this season is to make it to the RBC Cup.

Favourite genre of music/ favourite song? 

I like to listen to a lot of country and rock. My favourite song right now is Renegades by X Ambassadors.

Favourite movie? 

My favourite movies are the Bourne trilogy.

Who is one NHL player you try to model your game after? 

Shea Weber is a player I feel like I try to model myself my game after. I try to play the same physical style he does.

Which NHL team is your favourite, and why?

My favourite NHL team is the Vancouver Canucks because I grew up watching them with my family and they are like a home team for all of BC.

No comments: