Thursday, June 4, 2015

Adam Maglio: Spruce Kings New Assistant Coach

Adam Maglio
Photo from UBC Thunderbird athletics page
Adam Maglio is the next piece to the puzzle in Prince George.

Today it was announced that the Nelson, BC native will be joining the Spruce Kings for the 2015-2016 BCHL season as assistant coach. After playing in the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League for two years, he played in the NCAA for two years with Morrisville State College, and finally moved back to UBC where he spent two years in the CIS. 

As any other coach would do, Adam then moved over to Hong Kong where he directed a hockey program for two years. Last season he made the move back to the Lower Mainland where he helped coach his old team at UBC. 

I had the opportunity to chat with Adam, and get his thoughts on this coming season.




What are you most looking forward to this season in coaching the Spruce Kings?


“I’m personally really looking forward to coaching in the junior ranks. It’s a little bit of a different situation than coaching at the university level, so on my end I’m really excited on working with Mike [Hawes] and Chad [van Diemen] and developing our players.”

The BCHL is a league that has a large focus on development. How do you think you can help the players on this team develop as a recent player yourself? 

“From an off ice perspective it’s preparing them for time management, a level of fitness they need to play at that level, and it’s just a transition going into the college ranks from a mental standpoint.  I think from an on ice perspective, integrating the right systems and how to play the game the right way, knowing how they’re going to move into a university level, and how they’re going to be coached at that level is important too.” 

It's going to be both your's and Chad's first season coaching in Prince George, how do you expect that change to be both for the team, and yourselves? 

“I think it’ll be a good transition, I know coming in to the first year on the job you’re definitely really excited, and I know we’re both really excited about the game. The BCHL is a really good level, and there are good players. I think we’ll bring a lot of energy, and for me there are some learning curves as well with working in a different league and a different level of player. Chad’s been there, so he holds the experience at this level and that’ll serve him well, and serve us well as a coaching staff.”

What is your best trait as a coach? 

“I think I’m a real good communicator, I think that’s really key for me having open lines of communication with the players. Sending the right message and building the culture we want as a staff.” 

What are your thoughts on Prince George? 

“Prince George is a hockey community so I think as a coach, and as a player it’s somewhere you want to play. There’s a lot of community support, and it’s growing. It seems like a real good place to be.”

No comments: